Dividend Retirement Portfolio

This page displays the current holdings in my dividend retirement portfolio (part of my 401k). This is my dividend growth portfolio that will hopefully pay for my early retirement (read full story here).  All ticker symbols are linked to my initial purchase of each holding.

This spreadsheet is updated by Google Finance and may be delayed up to 20 minutes. Definitions of the various columns can be found below the portfolio. If you are having trouble viewing the dividend retirement portfolio or if the portfolio does not fit in your browser you can view it in Google Docs by clicking here (except for some mobile devices).

 

Rules for the Dividend Retirement portfolio

  1. Follow my general method for buying and selling dividend growth stocks, although I will allocate a small portion to more aggressive dividend growth stocks.
  2. Selectively reinvest dividends into existing positions or new positions that meet the criteria set in rule 1. This will be done whenever dividends + contributions exceed $2000.  Note – Reinvested dividends are treated as new purchases and therefore add to the cost basis (see my post on dividend accounting).
  3. I will NEVER make a withdrawal or take a loan from this account until age 55. I will begin withdrawing dividends only once I reach age 55.

Portfolio Definitions:

  • Cost Basis – Cost of the position including reinvested dividends (all dividends are reinvested).
  • Basis / sh – (Cost basis / # shares owned), basically my effective purchase price.
  • Market Value – Current market value of the position (may be delayed 20 minutes).
  • G / L – (Market Value – Cost Basis), gain or loss of the position since inception.
  • % G / L – ((G/L / Cost Basis) * 100), % gain or loss of the position since inception.
  • Weight – ((Market Value of position / Market Value of portfolio) * 100), position’s percentage of the portfolio.
  • Div / sh – Most recent quarterly dividend per share.
  • Yield – (((Div/sh * 4) / Price)) * 100), this is the current dividend yield if you were to purchase the stock now.
  • Annual Income – (Shares * Div/sh * 4), the minimum dividend payment I expect to receive over the next year.
  • YOC – ((Annual Income / Cost Basis) * 100), stand for yield on cost. This is the dividend yield I am receiving based on my cost basis.

Notes about my Dividend Retirement portfolio:

  • I am currently allocating 35% of my 401k to fixed income, real estate and emerging markets. The remaining 65% is invested in my dividend retirement portfolio. As I approach retirement, more funds will be allocated to the dividend retirement portfolio and fixed income.

8 Responses

  1. Vivianne says:

    Nice website! You are super organized. I’ll have to add you to my list of blog to follow as I also like your methodology. Goodluck with any future endeavor!

  2. Jan says:

    I really enjoyed your website! Many of your watching stocks are on my list also

  3. Hi Ken! $1,600+ in dividend income is fantastic. Why no telecom or utilities yet? There are some great yields and values in both of those sectors at the moment.

    • Dividend Empire Dividend Empire says:

      Thanks Blake! One of my goals for 2015 is to actually diversify across all of the sectors. I definitely want to get into some telecom stocks but I just haven’t had the chance to sort through them. I own quite a bit of T in my Empire portfolio and I refuse to own VZ (post coming soon), so those are out. If you have any recommendations of telecom stocks I should look at please let me know.

      As for utilities, I am having trouble finding companies that are actually growing their dividends at a high enough rate. I think this is sort of the norm for the sector. A 4% or 5% yield is great but I think 10-15 years down the road my AAPL yield on cost will far exceed any utility stock I buy today. For that reason I am staying on the sidelines for now. But again, if you know of any that have good dividend growth rates that I’ve missed I’m all ears.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Ken

  4. I choose AT&T for telecom as well. But I completely understand if you already have all that you want.

    For the utilities, I’ve held DUK for quite sometime, but the dividend growth rate is low at only around 2%. And SO isn’t much better with a dividend growth rate of 3.5%. I see what you mean. No really good, established utility options at the moment. IDA, NEE & ES have great dividend growth rate, but not a lot of history.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge